PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT / PURCHASING - Director Gary Antone
Funding is currently available in the Fiscal Year 2016-17 Budget and will be made available in the Fiscal Year 2017-18 Budget in 102-3011-53280.
REQUESTED ACTION (S)
a) Request approval of the following specifications:
1) Class II Crushed Aggregate Base - ¾” approximately 4,000 tons & ½” approximately 3,000 tons
2) Asphalt Concrete - ½” PG64-10 aggregate, approximately 5,000 tons
3) ¼ Ton Rip Rap, approximately 900 tons
4) Cold Mix Asphalt - ½” max., fine grade, approximately 2,000 tons
5) Crack Sealer in blocks, approximately 20 tons
b) Request authorization for the Purchasing Department to use alternative transportation cost-based competitive bidding procedures on items a(1), a(2), a(3), and a(4)
c) Request authorization for the Purchasing Department to solicit bids, with the bid
opening set for 3 p.m. on 4/5/17 at the Administration Office, 727 Oak Street, Red Bluff, CA
The Public Works Department uses Class II Crushed Aggregate Base, Asphalt Concrete, Rip Rap Rock, and Cold Mix Asphalt for various road repair and maintenance projects throughout Tehama County. To ensure that the County uses the vendor who provides the lowest total County cost for each project, the Department is requesting approval to use the following alternative competitive bidding process:
1) Each vendor submits their bid for the purchase price of the material and identifies
the location of their plant
2) Based upon the foregoing, the Board approves the bid list, and authorizes the Purchasing Agent to make purchases from that list in accordance with this
procedure, up to a specified amount
3) For each road repair and maintenance project, the Purchasing Agent will determine the distance between the job site and each vendor’s plant, and will assign a transportation cost factor (calculated at $2.50/mile) to each vendor. This cost factor will then be added to the vendor’s bid price for the material to determine which vendor provides the lowest total county cost for that project. The Purchasing Agent will make a sub-award and issue a Purchase Order to that vendor.
Under Tehama Code section 4.24.080, subdivision (c), the method and extent of bidding procedures for the purchase of supplies, etc. shall be prescribed by the Board of Supervisors. The foregoing alternative procedure is within the Board’s authority and will ensure that the County has the ability to timely obtain materials at the lowest cost possible.
The Public Works Department uses Crack Sealer to apply to road ways as a standard maintenance procedure.
|MOVER:||Steve Chamblin, Supervisor - District 1|
|SECONDER:||Burt Bundy, Supervisor - District 5|
|AYES:||Candy Carlson, Dennis Garton, Steve Chamblin, Bob Williams, Burt Bundy|